boxes draws any /* boxes draws any */
kind of boxes ===> /* kind of boxes */
around your text! /* around your text! */
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Please do have a look at the FAQ page if you have any trouble using or
- September 24, 2014 (Wednesday, 12:57h)
- The boxes sources moved to GitHub!
This will hopefully make maintaining boxes much more efficient.
Issues, feature requests, and contributions are now handled via GitHub.
Also, development-related documentation will eventually be moved to GitHub.
Everything else on this website stays the same for now.
- April 16, 2014 (Wednesday, 23:56h)
- Ron Aaron provided a Windows port of the current boxes
version 1.1.1! Get it from the download page.
Many thanks Ron Aaron! Thanks also go to boxes user Jared Cooperband,
who tracked down Ron's current contact details and convinced him to work on
- October 19, 2012 (Friday, 21:00h)
- Version 1.1.1 is out. Version 1.1.1 is essentially a
maintenance release which incorporated patches to the documentation by
Salvatore Bonaccorso. There are no substantial changes to the code.
See what's new in the change log.
- June 11, 2012 (Monday, 12:00h)
- Boxes in the press: boxes was covered by nixCraft in an
article with video. Here is the video:
- December 14, 2009 (Monday, 22:23h)
- Boxes in the press: boxes got an honorable mention
on dancingpenguinsoflight.com. Samuel Huckins says: "boxes provides
boundless entertainment." That's exaggerated, but very nice.
- July 23, 2006 (Sunday, 23:07h)
- Version 1.1 is out. Version 1.1 is essentially a
maintenance release, which solves all compilation and compatibility
issues reported to the author. This mainly affected modern Linuxes.
I took the opportunity to also apply all patches that had been
submitted, and added tab handling options for leading tabs
(see what's new).
Get it from the download page.
Now, I am looking for help with the binary distributions, which
should be brought up to level 1.1. Any contributions are greatly
- July 12, 2006 (Wednesday, 23:50h)
- A new code snapshot is available on the download page. Most notably, it
includes Andreas Heiduk's patch for compilation with present-day flexes.
- June 16, 2006 (Friday, 14:01h)
- Boxes in the press: Shashank
Sharma wrote an article on boxes for Linux.com.
Here's the direct
link to the article.
- February 26, 2006 (Sunday, 15:14h)
- I finally put some new box designs submitted by users of boxes up on the
download page. Also, there is a new patch by Elmar Loos, who added a
"repair" option -m to boxes. Using -m, you can remove
a damaged box and redraw it in one go. And last but not least, Jason
Shiffer updated his emacs mode for
- December 09, 2003 (Tuesday, 22:23h)
- Boxes in the press: Andreas Kneib's article was translated into English
and now appears in issue 38 (January 2004) of Linux Magazine!
Here's the direct
link to the article.
- November 20, 2003 (Thursday, 21:00h)
- Boxes in the press: The 12/2003 issue of
Linux User Magazine
(German language) features an article on ASCII Art software by Andreas
Kneib. The article covers figlet,
cadubi, and boxes.
- February 05, 2002 (Tuesday, 21:51h)
- boxes has moved to a new home:
This will help keep boxes available to you for years to come!
- December 18, 2000 (Monday, 14:03h)
- Jason L. Shiffer has just updated his Emacs mode for boxes to
automatically adapt to new box styles.
- December 01, 2000 (Friday, 13:45h)
- Edward Roper says that the
-traditional flag should be removed from the regexp
Makefile to compile on Red Hat Linux 7.0. This minor compilation
issue was reported by other Linux people as well. You must do this
manually until the next release.
- March 18, 2000 (Saturday, 01:30h)
- Version 1.0.1 is out. Version 1.0.1 is essentially
identical to the 08-Nov-1999 snapshot, with the addition of the Win32
port by Ron Aaron. Get it from the download page.
- March 09, 2000 (Thursday, 18:27h)
- The much requested Win32 Port has been made available on
the download page (at the bottom of the "Binary Distributions"
- November 03, 1999 (Wednesday, 01:16h)
- Jason L. Shiffer wrote an Emacs mode for boxes. So all of you
who've been waiting for information on boxes integration with
Emacs, please see the installation page.
- August 31, 1999 (Tuesday, 18:02h)
- Many contributions to the download page have been made by various people,
including FreeBSD ports, a Solaris 2.5.1 port, and Red Hat RPM packages.
The current snapshot now
compiles on more platforms (even on OSF/1, when -D_ANSI_C_SOURCE
is added to the regexp compilation stuff - someone got a binary?).
- August 22, 1999 (Sunday, 14:13h)
- VERSION 1.0 IS OUT! We finally left the beta stage behind
and moved to a stable release. Get it from the download page.
- August 19, 1999 (Thursday, 00:32h)
- Updated the download page with new binaries (beta
version 5). There are currently no known problems with this
- August 18, 1999 (Wednesday, 21:23h)
- A major step in development after a long pause. Improvements include
changes to the config file syntax which take care of the backslash
explosion. Remember to download the current snapshot rather than the other
source archives. Keeping track of boxes development is easiest via
the log page, which is the most up-to-date
page of this site.
- July 04, 1999 (Sunday, 19:42h)
- Web page redesign. Lots of docs coming up!
- June 30, 1999 (Wednesday, 14:51h)
- Added Solaris binary and source archive for current beta2
version. Barring popular request, all features are in. Do still
expect enhancements on the design autodetector, GNU configure support
(porting) and POSIX support for the regular expression stuff. In other
words, go ahead and use this beta, because the user side won't really be
affected by the planned changes.
- June 16, 1999 (Wednesday, 13:15h)
- Added Solaris binary and source archive for current alpha2
version. Other binaries will be made available when development
has reached a serious beta state. Most features are already in, but expect
a padding option and some minor stuff.
- June 04, 1999 (Friday, 13:58h)
- Added "Current Snapshot" to download section. This will be
updated semi-automatically whenever a minor change was implemented. This
particular snapshot just added already includes untested box removal
functionality. Consider this an alpha version.
- June 02, 1999 (Wednesday, 13:20h)
- Added list of box designs, which will from
now on be updated periodically. Send me new designs (as config files, of
course, not as images) and I'll add 'em if I like 'em.
- May 30, 1999 (Sunday, 14:41h) - dev update
- Resumed development after pause of nearly two months.
Removing boxes worked for the first time. It will be fuzzy! :-D
Didn't test yet. Be patient, I can only spend about a half hour to 45
minutes per day on this. (Less than I want to. :()
SEE ALSO: tal,
the trailer alignment filter.
©1999 by Thomas Jensen
Page created April 06, 1999, last touched: 5-Oct-2014.
All rights reserved.